To equip our students to boldly explore and discover the new frontiers in the scientific world.
To shed light into the interesting world of chemistry, so that the students can love and explore its fathoms through reading, writing, laboratory work and research.
Department of Chemistry: An overview
The post-graduate and research department of Chemistry started the academic functioning with the BSc Degree course in the year 1957. It is raised to the post graduate level by the introduction of MSc Degree course in 1967. Chemistry department is also a recognized research centre for Chemical Sciences with affiliation to Mahatma Gandhi University since 1989. Now the department is supported by DST-FIST and DBT- STAR college Schemes. We have nine faculty members, specialized in various areas of teaching and research. Our graduate and post graduate students secured several ranks n the university level. The department has four laboratories equipped with modern instruments. The department also provide consultancy in areas such as water quality analysis, natural rubber latex analysis and soil analysis. Many alumni of our department occupy esteemed positions like academicians, scientists, administrators, etc. in India and abroad. We have an active alumni network called the ‘Chemistry alumni association of Nirmala College (CAAN)), plays a prominent role in both academic and infrastructure development of the department.
Programs offered by the Department
- BSc Chemistry
- MSc Chemistry
- Ph. D in Chemistry
- Prof. Philip Augustine (HoD)
- Sr. Emy Tomy
- Dr. Jyothish Kuthanapillil
- Dr. Anns Maria Thomas
- Prof. Mathews K. Manayani
- Dr. Albish K. Paul
- Dr. Jyothi P. R
- Dr. Ajitha A. R
- Prof. Joicy George
Research guides in the department
- Dr. Jyothish Kuthanappillil,
- Dr. Padma M.,
- Dr. Marthakutty Joseph,
- Dr. Lovely Mathew P.
PhDs awarded from the Department: 2014-2019
|Sl. No:||Name of the PhD scholar||Name of the guide||Title of the thesis|
|1||Cintil Jose||Dr. Lovely Mathew P.||Development of high performance polymer nanocomposites using cellulose nanofibrils from isora fibres: – a wood|
List of Research scholars/Project fellows of the department
- Ms. Anjali Raju, MSc Chemistry, JRF, NET
List of teachers in Board of Studies/Various university Bodies
|Prof. Majo V. Kuriakose||Ø Senate Member M G university 2012-16|
|Dr. Marthakutty Joseph||Ø Chairman- M.Sc. I semester Chemistry October 2015
Ø Chairman- M.Sc. I semester Chemistry and October 2016
Ø As subject expert for the selection of Assistant Professor (FIP vacancy) on 18/8/2016.
Ø As Examiner for the Pass Board meeting of II sem M.Sc. Exam on 7/8/2017.
|Mr. Philip Augustine||Ø Chairman – B.Sc II sem Chemistry Practical Examination April 2015
Ø Chairman – B.Sc IV sem Chemistry practical Examination April 2016.
Ø Chairman – B.Sc VI sem Examination April 2017.
Ø Chairman – B.Sc V sem Chemistry Theory Examination September 2017
|Mr. Biju Peter||Ø
Ø Member of Examination Vigilance squad of M. G. University 2017 onwards.
Ø University screening committee member of promotion of teachers.
Ø Question paper setter PG and UG chemistry – M.A College Kothamangalam(Autonomous)
|Mr. Mathews K. Manayani||Ø Member of PG curriculum restructuring workshop of M. G. University in 2015
Ø Question paper setter UG chemistry – M.A College Kothamangalam (Autonomous)
Awards won by teachers
- Jose Karikunnel: Awarded for the dedicated service in introducing online KPCSPF by the Dept of Collegiate Education. Govt. of Kerala-2015
Invited lectures delivered by faculty
- Biju Peter & Mr. Mathews K Manayani delivered one day lecture to the supporting staff at Nirmala Pharmacy College Muvattupuzha on the topic “Laboratory practices and Waste management”
Research publications (2014 onwards))
- Anns Maria Thomas, Sujatha Asha, Rajasree Menon, Gopinathan Anilkumar, ‘One-Pot Synthesis of Benzofurans via Cu-catalyzed Tandem Sonogashira Coupling-Cyclization Reactions” ChemistrySelect 2019, 4, 5544.
- Anns Maria Thomas, D.R. Sherin, Sujatha Asha , T.K. Manojkumar, Gopinathan Anilkumar, ‘Exploration of the mechanism and scope of the CuI/DABCO catalysed C-S coupling reaction’ Polyhedron, 2020, 176, 114269.
- Sujatha Asha, Anns Maria Thomas, Sankuviruthiyil M Ujwal Dev and Gopinathan Anil kumar,’A novel protocol for the Cu-catalysed Sonogashira coupling reaction between aryl halides and terminal alkynes using trans1,2- diaminocyclohexane ligand, Chemistry Select, 2016, 1, 3938.
- Sujatha. Asha, Sasidharan. Anjana, Anns Maria Thomas, Minu. Elizabeth. Thomas, K. R. Rohit, K. Keerthi. Krishnan, Sankuviruthiyil. M. Ujwaldev, Gopinathan Anilkumar, “A convenient route to 1,3-diynes using amine-free Cadiot-Chodkiewicz coupling reaction at room temperature under aerobic conditions”, Synth. Commun. 2019, 49, 256.
- Emy Tomy, Asha Sreevalsan, Marthakutty Joseph, synthesis and characterization of Benzoylpyridine thiosemicarbazone and its metal complexes Seminar Proceedings, UGC sponsored seminar, St. joseph’s college Moolamattam (2015)
- Ajitha Ramachandran, Lovely P. Mathew, and Sabu Thomas. “Effect of MA-g-PP Compatibilizer on Morphology and Electrical Properties of MWCNT Based Blend Nanocomposites: New Strategy to Enhance the Dispersion of MWCNTs in Immiscible Poly (Trimethylene Terephthalate)/Polypropylene Blends.” European Polymer Journal, 2019, 118, 595.
- Cintil Jose Chirayil, Jithin Joy, Lovely Mathew, Joachim Koetz, and Sabu Thomas, Nanofibril reinforced unsaturated polyester nanocomposites: Morphology, mechanical and barrier roperties, viscoelastic behavior and polymer chain confinement, Industrial Crops and Products,2014, 56, 246.
- Cintil Jose Chirayil, Jithin Joy, Lovely Mathew, Miran Mozetic, Joachim Koetz and Sabu Thomas, Isolation and characterization of cellulose nanofibrils from Helicteres isora plant, Industrial Crops and Products,2014, 59, 27.
- Cintil Jose Chirayil, Lovely Mathew, P.A. Hassan, Miran Mozetic, Sabu Thomas, Rheological behaviour of nanocellulose reinforced unsaturated polyester nanocomposites, International Journal of Biological Macromolecules, 2014, 69, 274.
- Cintil Jose Chirayil, Lovely Mathew and Sabu Thomas, Review of recent research in nano cellulose preparation from different lignocellulosic fibers, Reviews on Advanced Material Science, 2014, 37,20.
- 8. Cintil Jose, Merin Sara Thomas, B. Deepa, Laly A. Pothan, and Sabu Thomas, Adhesion and Surface Issues in Biocomposites and Bionanocomposites: A Critical Review, Reviews of Adhesion and Adhesives, 2 , Scrivener Publishing LLC 173 DOI: 10.7569/RAA.2014.097303.
- Asha Krishan, Cintil Jose Chirayil, and George K.E, Sisal nanofibril reinforced polypropylene-polystyrene blends: Morohology, mechanical, dynamic mechanical and water transmission studies, Industrial Crops and Products, 2016, 71, 173.
- Ajitha, A. R., Lovely P. Mathew, and Sabu Thomas. “Compatibilization of polymer blends by micro and nanofillers.” Compatibilization of Polymer Blends. Elsevier, 2020. 179-203.
- Special Purpose Elastomers: Synthesis, Structure-Property Relationship, Compounding, Processing and Applications, Cintil Jose Chirayil, Deepalekshmi Ponnamma, Kishor Kumar Sadasivuni, Lakshmipriya Somasekharan, Srinivasarao Yaragalla, Jiji Abraham and Sabu Thomas
- X-ray, Light and Neutron scattering studies on Natural rubber composites and nanocomposites. Jini Varghese, Cintil Jose Chirayil. Lekshipriya Somasekharan and Sabu Thomas. RSC Polymer Chemistry Series No.8 Natural Rubber Materials, Volume 2: Composites and Nanocomposites Edited by Saby Thomas, Hanna J Maria, Jithin Joy, Chin Han Chan and Laly A Pothen © The Royal Society of Chemistry 2014, Published by the Royal Socirty of Chemistry.
- Joy, Jithin, Cintil Jose, P. Lovely Mathew, Sabu Thomas, and Moayad N. Khalaf. “Biological Delignification of Biomass.”Green Polymers and Environmental Pollution Control (2015):271-301.
5) Chirayil, Cintil Jose, Jithin Joy, Hanna J. Maria, Igor Krupa, and Sabu Thomas. “Polyolefins in Automotive Industry” In Polyolefin Compounds and Materials, pp. 265-283. Springer International Publishing, 2016.
University Rank holders (2015-2019)
|Name of the student||Year||Course||Rank|
|Grace Mable Paul||2019||MSc||1|
|Jayalakshmi M Jayadas||2019||BSc||6|
|Ms. Muhzina Muhammed Basheer||2019||BSc||10|
|Delna Elizabeth Baby||2018||BSc||7|
|Ann Mary Tomy||2017||MSc||3|
|UG to PG||61%|
|PG to Ph. D||7%|
|Sl.No.||Name||Official Address||Mob No||Email id|
|1||Dr.George John||Associate Professor
City college of New York
|2||Dr. P A Hassan||Scientist,
|3||Dr.Anoop A||Associate Professor
Polymer Science& Engineering Division
CSIR National Chemical Laboratory Pune
|5||Dr.Sathyanathan B||Scientist, School of Environmental studies,
|6||Dr. Maya Mathew||Scientist II, R&D, Thermo Fisher Scientific, Bangalore|
|7||Dr. Ajikumar Parayil||CEO, Manos Bio Inc, Cambridge, MA, USA|
List of major equipments in the Department
- UV-Vis Spectrometer
- Rotary Evaporator
- Water Quality analyser
- High Vacuum Pump
- Muffle Furnace
|Facilities||Laboratories||Class rooms||Seminar hall||Computers||LCD Prj/ Smart TV||Books in Library||Journals in Library|